This is my Dad. Last Friday marks 4 years since he went to be with Jesus. He lived a full and healthy life until he got Alzheimer's disease around 2001, but God was merciful and he didn't have to suffer with it for too many years. He was very independent and multi-talented and before the disease got worse, it was very frustrating to him not to be able to do things he always had, and it took a toll on the family too.But this is not to mourn and remember the bad times, it is to be thankful for a life that touched my world in many wonderful ways and gave a rich meaning to the word "Daddy"
I was the littlest in the family and the only girl, so I was kind of Dad's princess. While I was disciplined, he always encouraged me and believed the best in me. We shared the same sense of humor and his artistic creativity was passed down to me of which I'm extremely grateful.
For others outside of family, he was always willing to help out in what ever way he could; whether fixing things at people's houses( he built our house from bottom to top, my Mom and brother still live there today) or helping out at the church. He grew up during the depression with 5 other siblings and lost his mom at 13. So this taught him that sharing the load is the honorable thing to do and it stuck with him for his whole life. He worked at GE for 37 years, something unheard of now.
This photo was taking while he was in the army towards the end of WWII. He never had to fight, but flew in cargo plans to places like India and China. He flew "The Hump", never realizing how dangerous that was. The smile he has in this photo is the way I will always remember him.
In 1952 he married my Mom, and they were able to celebrate their 50th anniversary just a couple of years before he passed. She still misses him so much.
A while ago, our Pastor was talking about eulogies. He said that it's too bad that all of the nice things that people say about others are often said after that person is gone. His idea was that a eulogy should be while the person is alive; edifying them and letting them know how appreciative we are of them and love them.
Words of affection were not in abundance in my family; not because we didn't love each other, but we were a pretty quiet and reserved family. When Bethany our daughter was born, she was always very free in showing affection and saying,"I love you", and this opened me up to be more vocal and demonstrative with my love too ( Thank you, Beth). I would encourage you all...let others know how much you love them while they are still here, it brings so much blessing to them and to you as well.
Words or no, I always knew how much Dad love me and he knew I loved him too. His love was a wonderful reflection of God the Father's love. I look forward to seeing Dad in heaven someday, and to see my Abba Father most of all.
3 comments:
Sue, I love your entry entitled Waiting. It's awesome the way God reaches us in nature, isn't it?
I also want to let you know I share your book and movie favorites, esp. CS Lewis and LOTR.
You've read/seen Narnia--have you read Lewis' Mere Christianity. It's the best apologetic I've ever read on Christianity
love in Christ,
Rosa
Sue, I am so glad you have great memories of your Dad. It is so true that we need to say the nice things while the person is with us, not after they are gone when they don't much care... Thanks for this reminder.
Love this post Mom. I miss him too. I still remember the feel of the pocket protector he always had when I played with it. In fact, I have a picture of just that on the desk next to my computer. He was a terrific Grand-Dad.
Post a Comment