Life is full of transition . Definition:1.movement,passage,or change from one position ,state,stage,subject,concept,etc. to another. 2. a period during which such change takes place.Some transitions are pleasant, some not so pleasant. Some are desired, some we want to avoid. Right now the USA is in the midst of a huge set of transitions, not the least of which is political and economical. The events of 9/11 sent the country into a chain reaction of life-changing transition, some for the better, some not. But I'm not here to jump on a political soapbox. Suffice it to say, it is God who raises up and tears down kings, rulers and nations, not man. Our marching orders during these times, and at all times, is to pray that God's will be done, and ask for mercy over judgement.
Every action has an effect; on us, on others. Sometimes the effect isn't seen immediately, but it is there, and will be revealed in the proper timing. And here is where things can get a bit crazy... In the human world, a negative action often produces a negative reaction, a positive action should produce a positive reaction. But in God's world, these rules don't always apply. Why? Because God makes His rules perfect, and knows we can't. God will not live inside a box made by man's rules. So, in God's world, a seemingly positive reaction can have a negative effect...because God sees the heart behind the action. And what starts out as a negative action, God can turn around for good by His grace and mercy and love. In a nutshell, He knows what makes us tick, he knows we'll mess up, but he loves us as we are and sees the potential in us even when we can't. Since He wrote the book, he knows how it will turn out if we follow Him and obey Him at all costs.
Ultimately then, if we belong to God, we should welcome transition. We should want to transmit ("to send or forward, as to a recipient or destination.") to the next place He has for us. Being human, this isn't always easy. We think we want change, but if we knew all the details and cost to get us there, would we still say "yes"? God is gracious in giving us limited details. And the flip-side of that is we are happy (or think we are) to stay right where we are, avoiding change at any cost, afraid of the unknown details, not willing to trust in God's best for us.
I have been in both of these positions. But in both instances, the prescription for spiritual health is TRUST. I have had a life-long struggle with trust in God. I like control and don't easily give it over to God. But again, He is gracious. He reminds me again and again (without condemning me) that He is trustworthy, He has never let me down and He loves me. Even the times when it seems like He hasn't been there or taken something away that I thought was mine, it has been because He loves me and because He must remind me again that He is God and there will be no other.
So, knowing that God is in control and that I am his child, deep down I welcome transition. I want to be transmitted into the transition He has for me. I may not know the full cost of this, but my God paid the ultimate cost for me on the cross so that I could become His child and live out the purpose He has for me on this planet. I may still kick and whine in the midst of transition, but in my heart of hearts it is what I desire. And it's a wonderful thing that He sees my heart which belongs to Him.
One final thought: We can't make the transition come ourselves, nor can we hurry it up or slow it down. But we can know that God isn't bound by time and that His timing is perfect. In "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader", one of the Chronicles of Narnia" series by C.S. Lewis, Aslan, the Great Lion, says to the girl Lucy, "Do not look so sad. We shall meet soon again." Lucy asks, "Please, Aslan, what do you call soon?", to which Aslan replies, " I call all times soon." It is enough to know that God is on the throne and that He will take care of us in all things, in all transitions of life.
"For surely I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord, "plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope." Jeremiah 29:11
No comments:
Post a Comment